Changing the Hosted Page URL
By default, the URL of Hosted Pages will appear like so:
But what if you wanted it to look more like this?
This is where Domain Masking comes into play.
Step One: Your Domain Name Registrar
Next, you will need to contact your Domain Name Registrar and confirm their process for configuring what is known as a CNAME.
Usually, the relevant configuration items are as follows:
- Type: This value should be set to "CNAME".
- Name: The first part of the new URL, e.g. a Name (CNAME) of 'give' would result in a URL that reads "give.your-organization.org".
- Value: This targets our masking service. The value will always be "gift-cname.idonate.com".
- TTL: Set this to the lowest possible time for faster propagation (meaning the time until your donors would see the new URL).
Step Two: Contact iDonate Support
To begin the process, create and publish a Hosted Page, then gather the following information:
- The URL of the domain to be used (e.g. https://www.your-organization.org)
- The URL of the Hosted Page to be used (e.g. https://gift.idonate.com/your-organization-name/your-hosted-page-name)
- The Name (CNAME) configured in Step One.
Place this information in an email directed to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject along the lines of "Domain Masking for [Your Organization Here]".
Within 72 hours, your new branded URL will be visible to your donors.
You can check the status of this change using https://www.whatsmydns.net/.